Antennas simply magnify the signal of a WiFi device, just like an amplifier – except that an antenna is a far better solution than a WiFi amplifier (see notes at bottom).
- The antenna amplifes the signal by an order of magnitude: The increase in signal strength is a multiple – not a linear, incremental increase.
- WiFi antennas can be easily upgraded and placed in a better position for line-of-sight, which is the key to better signal strength and longer range.
- To upgrade the antenna for longer range in one direction: Choose a directional antenna, which eliminates some of the signal interference that is gathered by an omni-directional antenna, such as the small dipole antennas that come standard with almost all WiFi antennas.
How To Upgrade your WiFi Antenna:
The dipole antenna that comes with the WiFi router or USB adapter, can be unscrewed, to reveal the antenna connector on the WiFi radio (access point or WiFi adapter for laptop). The antenna connector types are RP-SMA, RP-TNC, N-female (on older or high-end gear), and H.FL (on miniPCI cards). RP-SMA is most typical on consumer WiFi routers and USB wireless adapters.
The two items that you will need to buy are:
- A high-gain WiFi antenna of 2.4GHz frequency, which is the consumer WiFi standard.
- If you will send and receive signals in multiple directions (more than 180 degrees), then you should buy an omnidirectional antenna.
- If you will send and receive signals in one direction only, then you should buy a high-gain directional antenna.
- In any case, the high-gain antenna that you buy will probably have an N-female connector: That is the best choice if you are following the instructions here.
- If you wish to re-position your upgraded antenna, you will need to buy an antenna cable of the shortest possible length that you can utilize: Most typically you will need an RP-SMA coaxial cable assembly, with an RP-SMA male connector on one end and typically an N-male connector on the other end.
The directional panel antennas have a flat panel which is used receive and transmit signal in one specific signal direction. This feature is added to improve the signal quality. The design was originally created by the military personnel for use in the fields to detect specific signals with more energy. However, now it is effectively used to facilitate the internet industry. Now the developing countries of the world are also effectively using the directional panel antennas to facilitate them in the use of internet facility.